According to a survey conducted by The Harris Poll, pizza is Americans’ favorite food, followed by steak, tacos, pasta and the hamburger. In fact, this round staple is one of the world’s favorite foods. It is loved so much that it has a day dedicated to it. As we celebrate love on February 14 for Valentine’s Day, on February 9 we celebrate pizza.
Pizza was created as a cheap and easy way to feed people in Naples in the 18th century, according to www.historytoday.com. Pizza was originally topped with garlic, lard, salt and occasionally cheese, basil and a meat. Today, you can make a pizza any way you would like, with your choice of toppings, types of cheeses and meats. There are even healthier versions; for example, instead of regular pizza dough, you can choose a cauliflower crust.
If you are looking for a fun way to celebrate National Pizza Day with your family at home, here is a quick and simple recipe to create a delicious pizza pie. Ask your kids to join in the fun!
1 can refrigerated classic pizza crust
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup pizza sauce
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
8-10 slices pepperoni
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
3. Unroll pizza dough on the cookie sheet and press out the dough toward the edges
4. Brush dough with olive oil.
5. Bake the dough for 6 to 8 minutes.
6. Top with pizza sauce, cheeses and pepperoni.
7. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until crust is brown and cheese is melted.
Can’t wait? Here are a few of the favorite local places to order a pizza, according to SRPMIC members.
1. Peter Piper Pizza
2. Barro’s Pizza
3. Little Caesars
4. Fired Pie
5. Grimaldi’s Pizzeria
6. NYPD Pizza